Saturday, January 5, 2013

Introduction

What is this all about?


I have made a New Year’s Resolution for 2013. This year, I have committed myself to accomplishing one random act of kindness per week for the next 52 weeks. In other words: complete 52 gestures that will hopefully make a small impact in the lives of the people around me. A Pay It Forward kind of thing, ya dig?

I will be documenting everything on this blog every Sunday in order to make me more accountable and to motivate me to fully carry through with this commitment. I will also tweet away: @genseguin and Instagram it all for your viewing pleasure (yes, friends, I have finally given into the world of Instagram):  geneseguin. As this is also a sort of a personal, social and at some degree, a spiritual experiment, I will also try to document (whenever I can) if I feel like I am myself getting somehting in return. Just for added fun, ya know?

Not only would I ideally wish to make this a collaborative project in which some people can take part in, by either suggesting ideas or by even helping to accomplish them if they want, but I would also like to potentially create a sort of Pay It Forward snowball effect. If this motivates some people to accomplish even the littlest of things in their daily routines, like holding the door for someone, or to simply smile to a stranger, then I will have achieved my goal. So if you do end up deciding to yourself do an act of kindness, please do not hesitate to share with me and I will add it to this blog!


How Did It All Start?



While I was at the gym (on December 30th, 2012 to be exact), I was watching CBC News when Saint John’s, NB Pay It Forward Campaign came to be the headline. I was so interested and inspired by this Campaign that I started thinking… what could I do in order to have that positive impact in some people's lives. I have always loved and have been fascinated by the Pay it Forward concept: how one simple gesture put forward by someone can mean the world for someone else and how it can potentially inspire others to do the same. I also loved the selfless and anonymous aspect of it as well – of how one can do this favour without having any expectations of having it be returned. After giving it some thought, I didn’t want to do one simple thing and call it a day. I wanted it to be bigger than that and have something constant but that was also achievable. So I decided to merge my New Year’s Resolution of being more kind to this idea and this project was the result.

Learn more about the PIF bracelets here.

I have to say that another big inspiration for this idea was Sonja Adcock’s incredible story of completing 52 marathons in 52 weeks at 52 years old in order to raise money for Ottawa’s The Snowsuit Fund. Listen to the story here at 9:15 minutes or read about it here. I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Adcock when I was working as a Publicist to reach out to media to cover this amazing challenge that she put forth for herself. After hearing her talk to the media about waking up at 3:30am on every Sunday of every week to complete her runs, on days where it was snowing, raining or not, I thought this woman personifies the “if there is a will, there is a way” proverb. As a busy woman, wife and mother, she still managed to complete her goal. This meant that anyone could do it. And so I decided to do so – with my own personal touch.

Ms. Adcock completing one of her 52 marathons.

Lastly, I would be lying if I were to say that some of my motivation for this did not come from being a Project Leader for Katimavik earlier in 2012. Living in a house with 9-11 volunteers who very unselfishly gave their time to organizations in two communities across Canada over the span of six months makes you realize things. Things such as that there are some amazing people in the world, that there is a way to positively impact the people around you if you set your mind and heart to it. So yes, some of this has been inspired by my 19 volunteers who have graced my life. It was very much a two way mentorship/teaching position that I was in.  

Cupcakes that my dear Katimavikers prepared
for me on my first day. 
As this is also a sort of a social, and at some degree, a spiritual experiment, I will also try to document (whenever I can) how I feel the universe is “thanking me” in response of these random acts of kindness. Just for added fun, ya know? 

So voilà, that is my story. Here’s to a happy and prosperous 2013 for everyone!


G."I hope you will have a wonderful year, that you'll dream dangerously and outrageously, that you'll make something that didn't exist before you made it, that you will be loved and that you will be liked, and that you will have people to love and to like in return. And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now), that you will, when you need to be, br wise, and that you will always be kind."- Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment